Color aerial photo of the Captain Joseph Mowry homestead in Smithfield, Rhode Island now the site of Bryant University. The Captain Joseph Mowry House was built in 1708 and remained in one branch of the family for 160 years. Captain Mowry was a descendent of Nathaniel Mowry, one of the original settlers in Northern Rhode Island (about 1650). This homestead was owned by Keefes, then by Emins for many years, and briefly, by the DeCotis fanily before being purchased by Earl S. Tupper. On October 24, 1967 Dr. Tupper gave this homestead and 220 acres of land as an outright gift to Bryant and this became the location of the current Bryant University.
This homestead was then moved and separated to form 3 structures (Alumni House - the original Captain Josephy Mowry House and one of the oldest houses in the town of Smithfield, Smith House and a private home). The Cornerstone building on the Bryant campus is the former Mowry barn. 1968?