South Hall, located at 1 Young Orchard Avenue, was constructed (was actually a complete reconstruction of a dwelling owned by the Spragues then by the Hidden family) by Isaac Gifford Ladd, an associate of the U.S. Steel tycoon Charles Schwaab and a member of the Brown University Class of 1886, for $1 million. According to some stories, he built South Hall for his bride, and construction was accomplished during a honeymoon which lasted for some time. On arrival back home in Providence, the bride was taken to the new homestead, only to refuse to enter because the building was so ugly. The property remained idle until it was purchased by a Thomas Marsden, who turned it into Hope Hospital, a private institution. Bryant leased the property in late 1934 and renovated it for the opening of classes in the fall of 1935. South Hall was primarily used for classrooms. Also located here were the offices of the Dean of the School of Business Administration, Dean of Secretarial and Teacher Education, and the Supervisor of Secretarial Studies. This building also housed the Registrar, Record Room, Maintenance Department and the College Book Store. Brown University acquired this building and other Bryant buildings on the East Side when Bryant moved its campus to Smithfield, RI in the fall 1971.