Black & white photo of Dr. Earl S. Tupper, 1907-1983 (President of the Tupperware Corporation). In 1967, Bryant President E. Gardner Jacobs learned that Mr. Tupper wished to sell his 220-acre estate located in Smithfield. Tupper had initially expected a price between $75,000.00 and $100,000.00. Gardner Jacobs met with Earl Tupper in his suite at the Biltmore Hotel in downtown Providence to discuss the goals of Bryant College; foremost being a site for the new campus. Mr. Tupper was so impressed with Bryant's ideals that on October 24, 1967 he signed the papers donating his property, which included the historic Captain Joseph Mowry homestead, to Bryant College. Now Bryant University, the institution still resides on this same parcel of land so generously bestowed in 1967. At Bryant's 1968 Commencement Earl S. Tupper was awarded the honorary degree of Doctor of Science.