The Mowry Alumni House was once the home of Captain Joseph Mowry (1675/1676-1721?), son of Nathaniel Mowry (1644-1717), one of the original settlers of northern Rhode Island. The house was built in 1708 and remained a "Mowry" home for about 160 years. Owners after the Mowry family included the Keefe, Emin and DeCotis families. In 1954 the house was purchased by Earl S. Tupper. Upon acquisition of the property, Tupper moved the house and connected it to another house built around 1767. Mr. Tupper donated this homestead to Bryant College on October 23,1967. In June 1970, during campus construction, the Mowry homestead was moved again to its current location.
To learn more about the Mowry family consult The Descendants of Nathaniel Mowry, of Rhode Island. Chapter 2 includes information about Captain Joseph Mowry and a history of the 1708 house that was published in the Providence Journal in September 1876.