Townhouse C was named for John Logan Allan, a Bryant graduate and a Bryant employee from 1919-1956. He served as a faculty member, bursar, executive secretary, assistant treasurer, vice president and trustee. Allan died on June 19, 1956 in a fire at his home at 289 Wayland Avenue while trying to rescue his 17 year old daughter. Born in Warren Maine in March 23, 1900, Allan came to Providence in 1912 and graduated from Bryant with a degree in accounting in 1919.
Bryant's original Allan Hall was located at 4 Young Orchard Avenue, Providence, Rhode Island. This 19,312 sq. ft. building was built in 1905. Bryant used this building as a women's dormitory consisting of 25 rooms housing 52 students in addition to a house director in a one room apartment. Allan Hall was originally named Gardner Hall. The name was changed from Gardner Hall to Allan Hall. Allan Hall was demolished by Brown University in 1973 to make way for a new dorm.
A new Gardner Hall was built in 1960.
Townhouse A was named Appleby Hall after Ray Lucien Appleby, '1927 and his wife Mary T. Appleby.
Lucien was employed by Bryant from 1928-1932 and then returned to the college in 1938 and remained until he passed away on June 14, 1968. During these years Lucien held various positions - he was a faculty member in investments from 1928-1956, then was secretary and assistant treasurer, and trustee, and in 1961 was elected treasurer and vice president of the college.
Appleby was the first person to carry the Harriet Jacobs Mace at Bryant's 1964 commencement. At Bryant's 1967 commencement, Appleby was awarded an honorary degree, Doctor of Science in Business Administration.
Bryant's original Appleby Hall was in located in Providence. This men's dormitory was dedicated on October 22, 1968. In the photo below Mary Appleby is at the podium. Mary T. Appleby was a professor of dramatics at Bryant.
Barber Hall was named after Jeremiah Clarke Barber, former Bryant faculty member and former Dean of Bryant's School of Business Administration. Barber was born in Exeter, Rhode Islander and was educated in the Providence public school system and at Brown University.
Affectionately known as Jerry, Barber taught law and was also Dean of Students
The original Barber Hall was known as Barber House and was located at 88 Cooke Street on Bryant's former campus in Providence, RI. It was a men's dormitory consisting of 17 rooms housing 36 students. This building had been leased by Bryant in the 1960s and has since been converted into condominiums.
Barber died on November 9, 1940, the last surviving member of the old Bryant & Stratton faculty. That year Barber received an honorary degree from Bryant in absentia as he had been ill at that time. He served Bryant for 47 years.
The Jeremiah Clark Barber Award, given to an outstanding senior each year, is also named after this former dean.
Residence Halls 5 & 6 are named after Artacky Berberian, 1909, 1973H and his wife Elese (Karakashian) Berberian. Berberian Hall was dedicated October 15, 1977.
Berberian was born in Constantinople, Turkey and is believed to be the first student of Armenian parentage to attend Classical High School in Providence, RI ... and was probably the first Armenian student to enroll at Bryant. A devoted Bryant graduate, Berberian was very active in the Bryant Alumni Association. In 1926, he hired a Bryant graduate to be his bookkeeper, truck driver and delivery man - this former employee was Nelson J. Gulski, who later became a Bryant faculty member and acting president of the college. At the time of his honorary degree Berberian was the liaison to Bryant's "Old Guard" (Bryant graduates who have been out of the college 50 years or more).
He was the president and founder of the Manufacturer's Supply Company, Providence. Former organizational activities included:
- Grand Legislative Committee Chairman of the United Commercial Travelers of America
- Member of the Benevolent Protective Order of Elks Lodge No. 14
- Director of the Manufacturing Jewelers Sales Association
- Member of the Building Committee of St. Vartanantz Armenian Apostolic Church
- Violinist in the Providence Philharmonic Orchestra
Berberian was also an active member of Rotary International and was honored as Rotarian of the year by the Miami Beach Rotary Club in April, 1973. Mr. Berberbian died in 1985 at the age of 92.
Gardner Hall was named after E. Gardner Jacobs '21, son of Harry Loeb Jacobs and president of Bryant, 1961-1969. E. Gardner Jacobs was also a former Bryant Vice President, Director of Admissions, and Trustee. This building is actually the 3rd Gardner Hall.
The original Gardner Hall was situated directly across from South Hall at 4 Young Orchard Ave on Bryant's former Providence campus. This building was called Gardner Hall until it was renamed Allan Hall in 1960. The name was changed from Gardner Hall to Allan Hall in memory of John Allan, a Bryant graduate and a Bryant employee from 1919-1956 who died tragically in a fire. This 19,312 sq. ft. building was built in 1905. Bryant used this building as a women's dormitory consisting of 25 rooms housing 52 students in addition to a house director in a one room apartment. Allan Hall was demolished by Brown University in 1973 to make way for a new dorm.
The 2nd Gardner Hall was a men's dormitory constructed in 1960 at 154 Power street. This was renamed Perkins Hall when later acquired by Brown University.
Townhouse D was named after Rita Cassels Hoey '33, who was employed by Bryant College from 1933-1966. Positions held by Hoey included Secretary to the Bryant President, Placement Director and Dean of Women.
The original Hoey Hall was a dormitory for women located at 78-80 Charles Field Street on Bryant's former Providence campus. This dorm was dedicated on February 13, 1967 and was formerly called New Hall. Rita Hoey died on December 22, 1966 after a long illness.
Printing is not supported at the primary Gallery Thumbnail page. Please first navigate to a specific Image before printing.