Townhouse A was named Appleby Hall after Ray Lucien Appleby, '1927 and his wife Mary T. Appleby.
Lucien was employed by Bryant from 1928-1932 and then returned to the college in 1938 and remained until he passed away on June 14, 1968. During these years Lucien held various positions - he was a faculty member in investments from 1928-1956, then was secretary and assistant treasurer, and trustee, and in 1961 was elected treasurer and vice president of the college.
Appleby was the first person to carry the Harriet Jacobs Mace at Bryant's 1964 commencement. At Bryant's 1967 commencement, Appleby was awarded an honorary degree, Doctor of Science in Business Administration.
Bryant's original Appleby Hall was in located in Providence. This men's dormitory was dedicated on October 22, 1968. In the photo below Mary Appleby is at the podium. Mary T. Appleby was a professor of dramatics at Bryant.