Document Type

Personal Letter


Katherine Trickey; WWII

Rights Management

All rights retained by Bryant University


[Transcription begins]


Camp Wheeler, Ga.

17 April 1944

Letterhead Camp Wheeler


Dear Folks,

I am writing this at 8.00 PM as I sit outside the Service Club. It is, as you see, still light and it is warm enough.

Yesterday was a really hot day and although we had a strong wind in the afternoon, we didn’t get any of the tornado which according to the paper struck other parts of Georgia.

I had a very nice day yesterday. Got up in the morning and got my washing done early. Then took my comforter out in our backyard and pretended I was having a sunbath on the beach! It was swell weather and I


stayed out until nearly noon. We had a baseball game with the Waves from Milledgeville in the afternoon. Some of us went to the early show to see “Ladies Courageous" the story of the WAFs. Rather good. On the way home I met Kenneth Harrington, a boy from Eastport, Maine whom I have talked with several times when we ate mess with the boys.. He took me up the Service Club and then walked home with me and we sat in the dayroom and talked until time to leave for bedcheck.

He seems very nice. He went to the NYA school at Dexter and was foreman of the Tool Making Department of the Winchester Rifle Co. when he was drafted. He is very well read scientifically and an interesting talker. I really enjoyed the evening.

Tonight we were supposed to have our last class in Running the Projectors but after waiting in the Dayroom half an hour for transportation we found out that it had been postponed until next Monday.

It’s now 9 o’clock and I am indoors at one of the nice tables on the balcony. Marjorie & I went in the cafeteria with Gazelle (Gieselle?) Kerner and Martha Ross and had nice chocolate ice cream sundaes.

We expected to go into summer uniforms today but it was postponed for some reason or other but it won’t be long now. We will be able to go without a jacket which will be more comfortable even if not so very good looking. During the day, anyway, we’ll be able to go without neckties which I shall enjoy. I don’t believe I’ll ever get used to a necktie.

I am enclosing a five dollar bill for my telephone call. When you get the telephone bill will you let me know how much it was so I’ll have some idea of whether I should call again or not?

Loads of Love


P.S. That check you remailed was for $11.25. Goodness knows what for unless it was what I paid in 1942 on War Bonds.

[Transcription ends]