Earl S. Tupper
Black and white photo of Dr. Earl S. Tupper, 1907-1983 (President of the Tupperware Corporation).
In 1967, Bryant President E. Gardner Jacobs learned that Mr. Tupper wished to sell his 220-acre estate in Smithfield, RI. Dr. Tupper had initially expected a price between $75,000.00 and $100,000.00.
E. Gardner Jacobs met with Dr. Earl Tupper in his Biltmore Hotel suite in Providence to discuss the goals of Bryant College. The foremost goal being a site for a new campus. Dr. Tupper was impressed with Bryant's ideals, and on October 24, 1967 he donated his property to Bryant College, now Bryant University. The institution still resides on this same piece of land. At Bryant's 1968 Commencement Dr. Earl S. Tupper was awarded an honorary Doctor of Science degree.